Yesterday, I saw on E&P that baltimoresun.com was unveiling a new design. Now that i have seen it, some comments:
- The home page is less cluttered and has slightly more white space
- Like many redesigned newspaper sites, there is a tabbed eyepiece/carousel/widget. However, there is a lot trapped white space when tabs don’t have photographs, a typical situation in the early morning.
- Blogs are given more prominence with a box that begins near the scroll
- Columnists are not as prominently featured on the home page, but more so on the section fronts.
- Video has been added to the home page and section fronts, but is below the scroll.
- It is a seven column grid.
- I like the three promo spots near the scroll.
- I don’t like the new typeface for the baltimoresun.com logo.
- Overall, it is an improvement over their previous design.
Baltimore Sun, newspapers, redesign